Today was my day in the Print Shop of the Museum (History Park, San Jose, California). But it was a low attendance day, so I did not ink up the press for printing. I proofed a cut or two trying to decide on my Christmas Card design, and entertained visitors who came in to see the Shop. Always a nice day.
Upon going to my Sunnyvale shop, I decided to work on my new-to-me press after dinner. I scraped rust and dried ink from the ink disk, scrubbed with solvent and steel wool, and whizzed around with a brass brush on the Dremel. The press, an 8x12 Golding Official (tabletop), is now much cleaner. I dug out the oil holes and added oil. Now the press is much easier to use than a comparable Pilot. It is also heavier, with greater impression strength, so I look forward to using it soon.
Rust removal: unless I can soak parts in Evap-O-Rust (a very good rust cleaner), I use steel wool and mineral spirits, or even WD-40. For the ink disk, my ink knife was good, since I could easily scrape the rust from the disk. I followed up with steel wool and WD-40. For the platen and paper bails, I used a Dremel with a soft brass brush. That worked admirably.
I found the oil holes, which were clogged with years of crud. Using a small drill bit, I turned it clockwise to lift out the debri and clear the holes. Then I could put a few drops of oil in each one. The press now opens and closes almost effortlessly. I am extremely happy with this press and can hardly wait to print on it. The trouble is, I have not yet ordered new rollers, so next month is the earliest I could get ink on this new wonder. Stay tuned!
After steel wooling, scraping, solventing, and dremeling, I am going to call it a night. It was Rust... or broadcast TV! I chose Rust.
Saturday, November 10, 2007
Rust or TV? TV or Rust?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment