Basicaly, the few of us who bring dinner show up with casseroles or rolls, plates, etc... provide beverages, and some of the others who also go often bring food, too. Everybody lines up and eats together. The only thing "religious" is that someone offers thanks to God before we eat.
It has been really interesting to get to know folks. Some of the same people show up every week, but others sort of drop in and drop out as they are available. Each week is a surprise. Organizers say they never know what kind of food, or what needy people, will show up. And sometimes something great happens. This evening, a pair of young men with instruments arrived, set up in the band shell where we meet, and began playing: a sax and a bass, doing jazz and doing it well. How cool was that! Totally out of the blue, and really pleasant for all.
We try not to stick together as "the group that brought food." We mingle and talk to everyone. Tonight, one guy blessed me with a handwoven rose I admired, which he made from a palm frond. Later, I asked his name and told him I'd like to put it on my Christmas tree. He offered his street name and his "real" name... and I felt the Lord leading me to affirm, "Well, God knows you by your real name, so I'll put that on the rose and pray for you when I see it on the Christmas tree." It was all I could offer in return for a gift freely given. I'm still smiling.
ON OTHER FRONTS:
I'm delighted to be able to report that I cased in _three_ of my so-called spineless wonders (old books) this week. One is complete and the other two are being pressed overnight. My learning curve in book repair is beginning to flatten out. I sewed and bound an antique crochet book (1888); re-sewed a signature-sewn paperback and bound it; and replaced the disintegrating cover on my 1959 Bible with a nice leather one. If I were less busy I could post photos, but I haven't even taken them yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment