This post is mostly for friends from Letpress, the letterpress printers' listserv.
If you look carefully at the pic (double-click to biggify), you can see the areas which are not inking.
The last letter, s, in Pins, and the thimble at the bottom of the cut are simply not taking ink. The sad part is that they were inking perfectly all during makeready, and now they are simply not. At All.
As far as I can see, there was no contamination, no washup between makeready and printing, and no color change. I didn't even change packing.
Pressure is a little heavy; the cut sits a wee bit high, and I have had to add a sheet of typman under the type to bring it up, since I cannot remove anything from the cut.
I would love to get your thoughts on why this is happening when the proofs were all so good.
Wednesday, September 05, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hi Marjorie. You're the expert, but if this were going on in my old shop (I miss it), I'd work on the 's' first, since it can be dealt with independently more so than the thinble on the corner of a cut. First, I'd wash the type face again, then I'd measure the letter with a type gauge, then for the hell of it, I'd add .001 or .002 makeready and see what happens.
Dave of Windswept Press, formerly of Saugerties, NY. PS: if you're ever on the South Carolina coast, stop for lunch!
Hi Marjorie. You're the expert, but if this were going on in my old shop (I miss it), I'd work on the 's' first, since it can be dealt with independently more so than the thinble on the corner of a cut. First, I'd wash the type face again, then I'd measure the letter with a type gauge, then for the hell of it, I'd add .001 or .002 makeready and see what happens.
Dave of Windswept Press, formerly of Saugerties, NY. PS: if you're ever on the South Carolina coast, stop for lunch!
Post a Comment