Wednesday, December 01, 2010

A Done Deal!

I had a bit of trouble getting started on the annual NaNoWriMo thing this year. That's where you basically give up your life to write your heart out in the month of November. NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth. 50,000 words is the goal. You heard me right: 50 thousand!

Last year's novel, yet un-edited, was about some ancestors who survived one of the many kinds of health tragedies the 18th and 19th centures had to offer: an epidemic of Yellow Fever. The family lost 5 children in 8 days. In the middle of that time, the poor mother gave birth to the youngest child. I figured if I couldn't wring a plot and some drama from that situation, I was a washup as a writer. I managed, but was burned out by month's end. The story was just too grim.

This year's novel is youth fantasy, aimed at 5th- 6th grade. Talking animals, you know! I love cats, and have good opportunities to observe them at home and in the shelter where I volunteer. So my story's cats begin in a shelter, escape, live through threats and disasters which many abandoned cats do face, get trapped, wind up in a shelter-- and finally find their own home to settle into. I'm quite happy with it.

Even though this year's novel isn't quite finished, I WON by producing those 50,000 words. Gotta tell you, it feels wonderful to have accomplished those. And I promise, I won't just give up and not edit it, because this story was actually fun to write! Well, fun if you don't count the looming deadline and the sore hands from all the typing!

A theatre costuming teacher I once knew had a mantra: "Done is Beautiful." Said in whatever tone of voice you feel, it works. And so, chanting my costumer's mantra, I wander off into the sunset, with my NaNoWriMo WINNER banner lifted high.

Now, back to the printing press! I've completed two colors of a three-color job today!

No comments: