Monday, June 21, 2010

Back to Letterpress

Actually!

Since my return from the Wayzegoose, I have been shoveling out the Den of Iniquity to make room for my new type purchases. In the process, I've been finding some interesting or odd things that I set aside to find out about later.

I took my copy of Rob Roy Kelly's Wood Type book (recently available from Liber Apertus Press) to try to identify some of my previously acquired wood type. Not that there's a lot-- but I like be able to call it by name, affectionately, as I use it.

One of the fonts I bought on eBay (before prices skyrocketed) turned out to be "French Antique" (page 255, Kelly), without its lower case or numerals. It's almost exactly the same size as pictured in Kelly. There is a very odd sort associated with the font, however. It doesn't fit with any of the characters in Kelly's showing, yet its size and style clearly associate it with the font I have.

Kelly says this font was "First listed by William Page in the Typographic Messenger during 1869." My font has no maker's mark, but it is exactly the design shown in Kelly.

But what is the odd sort below?

 


The Rest of the Story: I love my APA and Letpress lists! Less than 10 minutes after I first posted on the lists about this odd sort, I had an answer! Thanks to Greg Walters (APA) and Alan Brignull (Letpress), each of whom identified this as an "fl" ligature. Since I have no other lowercase sorts, it was difficult for me to imagine. Kelly doesn't show the ligatures with the lowercasee.

No comments: