See this? It's proof that I have officially, emphatically and euphorically passed the Halfway Point of NaNoWriMo-- National Novel Writing Month.
The premise is simple. You're a winner if you sign up on NaNoWriMo and then write a 50,000 word novel by November 30th. Can you lose? NO. You can only not win. The only prize is braggin' rights and a banner for your web page.
Halfway there means I have only another 25,000 words to write before I win. I'm already three days ahead of schedule. I think I can do this thing. I think I can! I think I can!
Friends will be curious about my so-called novel. First, you're not likely to have to read it soon. It's in a very rough draft. No editing is allowed during NaNoWriMo. The plot grew on my family tree: one couple lost five- yes five- children within eight days of one another. In the middle, the poor mom gave birth to the youngest child. If I can't milk some drama from that, I'm hopeless as an author.
In 1799, yet another Yellow Fever epidemic scoured the Philadelphia area. My ancestors didn't live far from there, so my research suggests that the children died of Yellow Fever. But how did the family cope? The mother couldn't have done much for the children. The story is seen through the eyes of one of the surviving children, all of whom had to make the effort to help their family.
Halfway there. Every day I look at my fingers and wonder what more will come from them as I type. I've already been surprised at half the family moving and a threatening stranger. Somewhere in the next 25,000 words there must be an answer hiding! Stay tuned.
And, later this evening. 26,197 words! I'm shooting to get another day ahead.
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment