Saturday, March 21, 2009

Printer Jam!

Barely before Christmas, I composed my annual (almost-sent) Christmas letter and sent it to the laser printer. The annoying thing was that the paper took the opportunity to jam. I was just tired enough, and mad enough, and it was late enough, that I walked away and went directly to bed. Knowing how difficult the paper path is to clear, I simply avoided the issue until today.

Since I had something to print out today, and my friends Dave and Angeliq are staying the weekend, Dave said he'd take a look at the printer for me. He's had years of experience in computer lab situations and I knew if anybody could clear the paper path, it would be Dave.

Presto! Dave got the rest of the paper out, but when he tipped the machine to make sure he'd gotten it all, we heard a small clunk on the table. "I think your type is falling out of the printer," quipped Dave, as he retrieved not one, but two sorts of metal type.

Only another letterpress printer would have laughed like Dave and I did.




The type actually fell from a ledge in the outside back of the printer's case, in case you're wondering.

2 comments:

Ira in L.A. said...

I'm surprised the lasert device didn't simple expel the object with the declaration "Get outta here; you're not my type!"

Ira in L.A. said...

yeah, yeah. laser, no t.