Thursday, June 29, 2006

Wart Two: Letterpress

I print. So what do you call me? A printer? But kids are learning that the box next to the computer is a "printer." What about the person who prints? In some languages, the default term for a person who prints takes the male article. So what about a woman who prints?

The weirdness goes further. I am no luddite, but my printing takes the form of letterpress work: type directly in contact with paper. It is considered antique technology. I began, appropriately enough, at a museum, where I demonstrated a press. Quickly appreciating that it was an approachable art (much more so than offset, which I had learned in college), I switched majors, as it were, to letterpress. My course of study did not change, but my printing technique did.

Current trends in letterpress involve more pressure than is good for lead types. The former mode was to achieve a "kiss" impression, where ink, but not indentation, was deposited on the paper. Being a devout middle-of-the-roader, I like a nice heavy kiss... one with a little character. However, I am not willing to sacrifice my type to achieve this look. If there is any question about it, I will order myself a plate from a good proof of the type. I won't have to worry about my type in that way.

I have been asked if I do wedding invitations or business cards. While I _can_ do such things, and have, I have not offered services for pay yet. Depending on my schedule, it might happen in future. However, first the post-move shop must be set up, and moving presses alone is not an option. Things progress glacially.

If you are interested in my printing, see my website: the3toad.googlepages.com/home. I have posted specimens and shop photos.

For printers (those of the human persuasion) I can recommend a website full of links: http://members.aol.com/aapa96/lpress.html, run by my friend Dave Tribby. Of his links, I think Briar Press and the "Letpress" are among the best. Your milage may vary!

An oft-quoted saying from the List: "Freedom of the Press belongs to the person who owns one." I am happy to be among the number.

No comments: