Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Wart One: I sew

Hmm. As a beginning blogger I should have something to say. I'll begin explaining my many interests. Most are related to making things I need or want. I can't emphasize enough the importance to me of being able to make things. In this prefabricated world making one's own "whatever" is the ultimate rush. I've beat the system and gotten exactly what I want and didn't settle for inferior quality or poor design. We're talking life skills here.

Sewing is perhaps the most important and long-lasting of my skills. Since I am not an "average" size in any direction, off-the-rack never fits right. But most important, making my own gives me color, style, quality, and design control. I wish more people, guys included, could understand how powerful the ability to sew can be. I can repair favorite clothes; I can remodel things that don't fit quite right. I can design what no pattern can offer me. I am not limited by what retailers want to push at me, because I can make my own version of whatever I need.

I don't always sew my clothing. Sometimes, disgusted with the prices for soft goods (ever buy a high end camera bag?), I make my own. The bag for my 35mm camera has two main sections, six outside pockets, two straps, and a hidden pocket. It is all padded and made of pack cloth with bright zippers to close things. A similar bag cost over $100 when I priced them. Mine has already lasted 18 years, and looks just as good as it did when new. It has been all over the US, and carried many lenses, cameras, and miscellaneous items. Had I not been able to sew and envision what I needed, I'd have needed to spend a lot of money to get something not fitted precisely to my needs.

Sewing, unfortunately, has become a dying art. Schools no longer teach it, and kids have never seen how useful a skill it is. Even should they learn, they assume they don't have time to DO it. My sewing time is at night, when the TV rules so many homes. I don't watch much TV. Hmm... maybe that's why I have time to sew. Actually, though, with my fitting issues, I don't have time NOT to sew.

Sewing is a fabulous way to gain control of your wardrobe, or even your accessories. I highly recommend it as a creative challenge that has real, cost-effective results.

Things I have sewn (either made or repaired:
Tents, quilts, camera bags, briefcases, draperies, specialty bags, purses, canvas leg coverings, outerwear, lingerie, furry animals, furniture coverings, doll clothes, corsets for historical clothing, hats, bathing suits, lingerie, and the usual blouses, dresses, skirts, and pants.

Sewing. Learn how!

No comments: