Saturday, July 28, 2012

Run One

I've been slowly working up to using my new-to-me proof press. After cleaning and oiling it thoroughly, the first impression I tried was a bust. I was new to this style proof press so I was in no hurry. Ordered new rollers, had a problem reinstalling them, and it took another year to get things together. More lag time. After all, my C&P platen does a fine job. While waiting, the Vandercook bed became the site of some Horizontal Surface Disease in the form of two type cases and assorted printers tools.

This week I cleared off the bed, and yesterday inked up to proof a large cut. Despite new rollers, I had no impression! What to do-- then I remembered I have no bed plate for this press. A galley fixed that problem, but I still had only a ghost of an impression. For a workaround I laid two sheets of tympan paper under the galley. Perfect!

Last night I finally got a decent print from my Vandercook No. 3. The Colt is not printed with "bite" impression, but he shows up clearly and the type is crisp. Now it's time to place the tympan paper in the packing rather than under the galley and have fun.
Yes. The ink is burgundy.

No comments: