I followed a friend's tried-and-true recipe for cleaning my new/old font (see previous post). Mr. Clean, believe it or not! I soaked the type for a few minutes, then slowly wiped down each separate piece on all sides. The face was last, swiped against a soft, Mr. Clean-dampened rag on the workbench.
Once each piece was dried, I then wiped them down all over again. Yes, each piece. This time I used paint thinner (mineral spirits). Its oily residue will protect the type from possible corrosion. It's an uncommon survivor, at 134 years old, and I hope it stays around for another 134. Or so.
See how clean it looks now! DO click to biggify-- and see the entire font, now beautifully clean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
It's such a great font...it looks so much nicer cleaned, too. Congrats on the find. rh
I like your description of cleaning all the thins, etc. on LETPRESS. The Mr. Clean story gives me inspiration, and I may just attack some of my type with that stuff sometime. I, too, am lucky to have a set of 36 pt. Goudy Open. Maybe our kids will have to play someday (?)
I appreciate your input on the LETPRESS archives.
Jody Kenney
JKLetterpress (not yet online)
Post a Comment