Sunday, July 13, 2008

A week later, Gap is Gone

Despite the fact that the Gap Fire continued burning to the West of us (up the mountain range), the firefighters (long may they wave!) got the close edges of the fire contained -- HOORAY -- and things are much better now. By last Wednesday almost all the ash dropping on us has stopped.

But we have unfinished business here. I did not post the one, bad cell phone picture, nor the one taken from the Goleta pier. So here they are.

While walking on the pier, July 4th, I was so frustrated that my camera batteries were dead. The fire had spread to a very wide space indeed, and the flares were huge- and scary. Beyond awesome. I spotted another pierwalker, and grovelled a bit to borrow his batteries just for one shot. Here it is. I think it evokes my emotions at that moment. Shook up, desiring to document this scary event, but utterly awed by the size of the fire and its possible ability to destroy my hometown and even my home.

No comments: